Hibiscus Needle Case

Looking for new projects to use your Bombshells? Find detailed step by step projects created by our Design Team here!

Hibiscus Needle Case

Postby *Sy on Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:41 am

Hi! By request, I'm posting a step by step tutorial on making my Bombshell Needle Case. I was just messin' when I made it so I had to break it down and take pics, etc... here we go!
nct01.JPG

Supplies:
12-inch paper trimmer
white card to stamp on
black ink pad
three hibiscus flower stamps from the Hula Girl set
stamping block
decorating chalks
q-tips (cotton buds)
bone folder or embossing tool
your favorite strong glue
cutting surface
craft knife or Basic Grey Notch and Die set (recommended)
And of course, needles in the box you bought them in. If you don't have the box, you can substitute a small strip of funky foam or foam core to stick your needles through.

Here's a picture of how my needles came.
nct02.JPG
nct02.JPG (21.25 KiB) Viewed 1066 times

As you can see, there is a plastic strip with holes in it for the needles. Detach this (or the kinky piece of plastic, that's another way it comes) from the backing card on the original packaging. You may also choose to incorporate the backing card into this project, it won't hurt my feelings. :mrgreen:

Cut a strip of white card to the same width as the card or plastic the needles are attached to. Mine was 3.5cm wide. The length chould be sufficient to lay the needles onto the middle and fold both top and bottom over so that they overlap by at least one inch in the middle. Mine was long enough to completely overlap and then some. Better safe than sorry.
nct03.JPG

Lay the needles onto the card as close to the middle as possible. Don't stick them down.
If your paper trimmer has a channel in it where the blade runs through, make like you're going to cut the card a few millimeters from one end of the needles but don't cut... run the bone folder or embossing tool down the channel instead to score it. Make another score line a bit further down- this will make the thickness of the case, so the space between the two lines should be a little bit more than the thickness of the thing holding the needles. (Does this make sense?) Do the same thing on the other end of where your needles are sitting.
nct04.JPG

Here's what the lines will look like. (I hope they came out ok. I can see them.)
nct05.JPG

Next, arrange the hibiscus flower stamps on your block so they make a little cluster, but do leave a bit of space between the motifs.
nct06.JPG
nct06.JPG (30.4 KiB) Viewed 1066 times

Stamp the design repeatedly in black ink, rotating the block, stamping over the edge, etc, to make a continuous but random layout. I find it always ends badly if you try and make a repeat pattern.
nct07.JPG

Leave it for a while. You know what ink you're using, so you know how long it takes to dry.
Is it dry?
Time to colour in. Start with the flowers first, applying the chalk with a q-tip (cotton bud).
nct08.JPG

To be continued... I think I ran out of attachment allowance!
*Sy

Re: Hibiscus Needle Case

Postby *Sy on Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:26 am

Part 2:

Then fill in the background. TIP: when you first use the chalked q-tip, work in the middle of a space. Drop the majority of the chalk in an open area and then rub gently in little circles and work it into the rest of the background. The result will be uneven, but that's all part of the charm.
nct09.JPG

Here we go, the finished strip. Take it to a well-ventilated area and spray it with varnish or some kind of fixative or sealant. All I had was varnish for acrylic paint but it works ok :) I've heard you can use hairspray too, but I've had bad results with hairspray (tends to darken the image) so I don't use it. Let whatever it is dry.
nct11.JPG

Now you can fold along the score lines as shown. If the end pieces overlap too much, feel free to trim them down now.
nct12.JPG

This case will have a tab and slot closure. Decide where the tab will go and either cut one with a craft knife or the notch and die tool.
nct13.JPG

Fold the remaining paper over, exposing your tab. Glue down the fold.
nct14.JPG

Close the case and mark where the slot should go on the other flap. Open it back out and connect the dots with a single cut with a craft knife or the notch and die tool. You want a snug fit, so make sure the line isn't too long and make sure you only cut once.
nct15.JPG
nct16.JPG

Finishing up, next message...
*Sy

Postby *Sy on Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:31 am

To Finish:

Glue the needle-holding bit onto the middle of the strip...
nct18.JPG

And there you are!
nct17.JPG

(the trained eye will spot that this photo doesn't actually have the needles in. I took them out of sequence.)

So there you are, a needle case. You may of course alter the size, colour scheme, stamps used, etc etc, to make it your own. I'd like to see what you come up with! One optional extra is stamping, colouring and cutting out one extra motif to disguise the join. You glue it only below the slot on the bottom flap. I didn't do it on this one but if you check my gallery the one in there has it. :)
*Sy

Postby GlitteryKatie on Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:30 am

Love it!!! Thanks Sy!
Make great lil' pressies!
GlitteryKatie

Postby bombshellstamps on Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:45 am

OMG Sy, I love it, and thanks so much for posting such a wonderfully detailed tutorial!!! :P
Very well explained and a fabulous idea!!!
Shannon
bombshellstamps
Site Admin

Postby kasmello on Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:28 pm

I LOVE IT!! my daughters need these for all those pesky needles I keep finding (ouch!)
Visit me at my blog....
http://www.artloveschaos.blogspot.com
and at my store - which is having a sale right now.....
http://www.artfire.com/users/artloveschaos
kasmello

Postby *Sy on Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:30 am

I can't believe how long it ended up being. It takes only a few minutes to make (plus varnish drying time) but it took an age to actually write about! :) I'd say to people, don't be put off by the detail. Just try it. It goes fast! :)

I've already come up with another one but I need to fiddle with it more. Maybe a good one in time for Valentine's :)
*Sy

Postby Kathi on Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:41 pm

Thanks so much for a great tutorial!

I love that you used chalks. It seems so few people use 'em now-a-days.
http://kathstales.blogspot.com <---My blog

Proud Bombshell Girl!
Kathi

Postby *Sy on Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:38 am

Yes, I don't even use them much myself but I keep my embossing tool in the same place as I keep my chalks, and I re-discovered them this weekend. :) I'm not ready to put them away yet.
*Sy

Return to STEP x STEP TUTORIALS