Crayon Resist/Post-It Note Book & Card Tutorial

Looking for new projects to use your Bombshells? Find detailed step by step projects created by our Design Team here!

Crayon Resist/Post-It Note Book & Card Tutorial

Postby Kathi on Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:58 pm

Welcome to another of my über-long tutorials! :mrgreen:

BSTPostV1.jpg

BSTView2.jpg

Supplies:
BST-Supplies.jpg
Bombshell Stamps:

Skull with Rose from the Man's Ruin Set
Rose from the Love & Luck Set
Glossy Cardstock by Ranger
Jet Black StazOn Ink by Tsukineko
Black Soot, Fired Brick, Worn Lipstick, Broken China, Faded Jean Distress Inks by Ranger
Van Dyke Brown Ink by Ranger
Silver and/or White Crayons by Crayola
Cardstock by Bazzill
Patterned Papers by Making Memories, Scenic Route, & EK Success
Silver Foil Stickers from Holland that I got at a seriously cool both at a stamp show.
Stickles Glitter Glue
Sponges (I buy round ones and then cut them up into wedges. I'm cheap, but not easy.)
Tissues
Post It Note pads that were clearanced at Michael's (2 for 50¢--yay).
Red-Liner Tape
QuicKutz Tag
QuicKutz Goosebump folder
Charm
Ribbon
Metallic Floss
Fantastix by Tsukineko

Note on my "Inspiration":

I saw this technique a while back and filed it in my brain. My daughter got some Kat Von D makeup from Sephora and I fell in love with the packaging. It's white roses on black and very striking. I immediately thought of the Rose & the Skull with Rose, then remembered the Crayon Resist technique.

Post-It Note Book Instructions:
1. Stamp the rose and the rose with skull onto two 4" square pieces of Glossy Cardstock using StazOn ink.
BSTStep1.jpg

2. Color the images with Silver crayon. You can go over the lines within the image, but try not to go outside of the lines on the exterior of the image. It's a bit difficult because the darned crayons don't sharpen real well.
BSTStep2.jpg

3. Using a sponge and the Black Soot Distress Ink dab ink all over image and cardstock until you have the coverage you'd like.
BSTStep3.jpg

4. If you'd like, add a second color of Distress Ink using the sponge to dab it on til you're happy.

5. Take a tissue and rub the ink and crayon off of the image. You might have to rub fairly hard, but the image will eventually become white again.
BSTStep5Rose.jpg

6. Construct your Post-it Note holder by cutting a piece of cardstock 1/4" wider than the Post It note and twice as long, plus an additional 1/4". I'm sure that wasn't at all clear, so I'll explain. My Post-It Note pads were 3.5" square. I cut the black cardstock to 3.75" wide and 7.75" tall. (2 x 3.75" + .25" for the fold). Score lines at 3.75" from either end, which will leave you a .25" "Spine".

7. Using patterned paper, decorate the covers of the Post-It note covers as you'd like.

8. Use red-liner tape, adhere the Post-It Note Pad to the interior of the book.

*If you'd like, you can add a magnet to the back of the book and hang it on your refrigerator. You can also increase the length by 1" and make a loop for a pencil.

The Crayon Resist Card
When creating the card, I decided to add more colors of Distress Ink (any Dye inks would work) to the background and also wanted to see how it would look with color added to the image as well.
BSTSCFinal72.jpg

Instructions:
1. Stamp the rose with skull onto a piece of Glossy Cardstock using StazOn ink.

2. Color the image with Silver crayon. You can go over the lines within the image, but try not to go outside of the lines on the exterior of the image. It's a bit difficult because the darned crayons don't sharpen real well.

3. Using a sponge and the Black Soot Distress Ink, dab ink lightly over image and cardstock, continue to dab the other colors of ink over the image until you're happy with the color combo and coverage.

4. Take a tissue and rub the ink and crayon off of the image. You might have to rub fairly hard, but the image will eventually become white again.

5. Using a Fantastix and Adirondack, or other Dye ink, of your choosing, color the skull, rose, stem, and thorns. Let it dry a bit, then dab off the excess. I wasn't happy with the image below, so I ended up adding more red to the rose afterwards. Sadly, my camera battery died, so I had to go recharge it.

6. Add Stickles the the drop dripping from the end of the stem.

7. Assemble the card as desired, add sanded sentiment tag, Copic Colored rose charm, and metallic floss.
http://kathstales.blogspot.com <---My blog

Proud Bombshell Girl!
Kathi

Re: Crayon Resist/Post-It Note Book & Card Tutorial

Postby bombshellstamps on Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:19 pm

Oh Kathi, your tutorials are always worth every pic & every step. Thanks so much for posting!!! 8-)
Shannon
bombshellstamps
Site Admin

Postby kasmello on Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:35 am

ME like!! :D
Visit me at my blog....
http://www.artloveschaos.blogspot.com
and at my store - which is having a sale right now.....
http://www.artfire.com/users/artloveschaos
kasmello

Postby Jacquie on Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:44 am

Amazing!!! I so want to try this right now!! I need supplies though! adding these items to my crafting supplies I "need" list(which is so long) right now! Thanks for this rockin tutorial!!
Jacquie

Return to STEP x STEP TUTORIALS